The shishalh Nation has officially announced a by-election for one councillor position on November 18. Below are important dates, and you can find the full Notice of By-Election here.
Here are the nominees:
- (Darrel) Randy Joe
- Carol Louie
- (Henry) Warren Paull
We are here to help!
All voters are solely responsible for ensuring that the administration has their current contact information.
Who can vote?
- All shíshálh Nation members who are 18 years of age on or before November 18th, 2023 – no matter where you live!
- You must be on the Voters’ List!
The Voters’ List will be available at the shíshálh Nation administration office. It will be updated frequently as new applications are accepted. If your name is not on, or appears incorrectly on, the Voters’ List you must, by no later than October 9, 2023, make an application to the Electoral Officer setting out the reasons why your name should be added to, or changed, on the Voters’ List and any documents supporting your application.
1611 Grady Rd, Gibsons, BC VON 1V6,
- A member of the shíshálh Nation who qualifies as a voter may be nominated as a Councillor
- A voter must be physically present at the Nomination Meeting, October 4, 2023, to be eligible for nomination as a candidate
- Each candidate must be nominated and seconded by a qualified voter and that voter must sign a declaration confirming the nomination
- The candidate will sign a Notice of Acceptance of Nomination in the presence of the Electoral Officer
There are two valid ways to mark your ballot. A check mark or an X can be used to vote. Do NOT sign your ballot or it will be spoiled and not counted.
Voters who are ordinarily resident on shishalh Lands and unable to vote in person due to disability on the date of the election, or voters who are not ordinarily resident on shishalh Lands, may vote by mail-in ballot if they deliver a completed Application for Remote Ballot to the Electoral Officer by no later than October 19, 2023.
The application form can be obtained from the Electoral Officer. Make sure to include your full mailing information, phone number, and birthdate on your request. The ballot must be received prior to the close of Election Polls on November 18, 2023.
If the above link doesn’t work for you, please email DMFord@shishalh.com to request a Mail In Ballot.
The following dates and deadlines are congruent with the shíshálh Nation constitution and the Election and Referendum Law, as approved by referendum on May 25, 2019.
- Nomination Meeting – October 4, 2023
- Request to add to Voters List – October 9, 2023
- Deadline to appeal Voters List – October 14, 2023
- All Candidates Meeting – October 16, 2023
- Advanced Poll – November 12, 2023
- Receipt of Mail-In Ballots – November 18, 2023
- Election Day – November 18, 2023
shishalh Voters must prove their identify in order to cast a vote in the upcoming referendums for the proposed changes to the Constitution and the Lehigh referendum. Either your Status Card or a valid BC Driver’s License can be used as identification when you vote.
shishalh Voters without proper identification can be vouched for to vote.
The person who vouches for you must be able to produce the proper identification requirements (Status Card/BC Driver’s License) AND be one of the following:
- Registered as shishalh voter
- Be a spouse, parent, grandparent or adult child, grandchild or sibling of the voter
- A person having legal authority to make personal care decisions in respect to the person being vouched for
- Voter and Voucher must each make a solemn declaration as to the voter’s identify and place of residence
- A voter who has been vouched for may not vouch for any other voter at that election