SIGD is in essence, the local government, created by Bill C 93 Sechelt Indian Band Self Government Act and established as a local government in BC by Bill 4 Sechelt Indian Government District Enabling Act in 1987. The Bill enabled SIGD to qualify for municipal benefits that are available to other municipalities in BC, to enact laws and bylaws that a Municipality has the power to enact and the ability to tax.
- SIGD has the ability to levy property taxes annually on residents and businesses.
- SIGD purchases services such as fire protection, road maintenance, sewer collection and disposal, garbage collection and recycling services.
- SIGD participates in the Sunshine Coast Regional Government by appointing a Council member to the SCRD Board.
SIGD levies property tax annually on residents and businesses. Property taxes are based on assessed value obtained through BC Assessment Authority and the annual budget.
2019 property tax notices were sent out May 24, 2019. Property Tax payments are due by July 2, 2019 at 4:30 PM. A late penalty of 10% is applied to current taxes not received by the due date.
Sechelt Indian Government District 2018 Reports are now available online.
If you are the registered owner of the residence, or the spouse or relative of the deceased owner and at the date the owner passed away you both occupied the residence as your principal residence you may qualify for a Home Owner Grant.
- If you are under 65 years of age the Basic Grant is up to $770.
- If you are 65 years of age or older, or a person with a disability the Additional Grant is up to $1,045.
- Applications for the Home Owner Grant must be completed, signed and submitted annually to SIGD in order to be applied to your property taxes.
Information and application for the Home Owner Grant can be found on the back of your SIGD Property Tax Notice or on the Province of BC website.
If you did not claim a Home Owner Grant in the prior year and you may have been eligible to apply for the Grant you may qualify for a Retroactive Home Owner Grant.
For information and application for the Retroactive Home Owner Grant go to the Province of BC website.
Bylaws are enforced on a complaint basis and complaints must be submitted in writing using the complaint form which is located on the Documents and Page Forms page. The following bylaws can also be found on the Documents and Forms page:
Eligible organizations can submit an application for Grant in Aid by June 30th of the current year. Successful applicants will be notified following the SIGD Council meeting. All successful applicants must provide a report on the use of funds by March 1st of the following year in order to be eligible to apply in following years.
The SIGD Chief and Council is the governing body of the Sechelt Indian Government District. The SIGD Advisory Council is an advisory body to the SIGD Council, representing lessees within Sechelt Band Lands 1, 2, 19/20 and 23.
- SIGD Enabling Act Advisory Council Regulation
- SIGD Advisory Council Terms of Reference
- Contact Info: 2019-2022 Advisory Councillors
SIGD Advisory Council minutes can be found in the SIGD Advisory Council Meeting Minutes section on the Forms and Documents page, linked below.
If you operate or conduct business within the Sechelt Indian Government District (SIGD) you must have a business licence.
Businesses located within SIGD can obtain a licence at the SIGD office located at 5545 Sunshine Coast Hwy, Sechelt. SIGD business licence invoices are issued annually and are due by January 31st of the current year. If your business is new within SIGD contact the SIGD office to obtain a licence.
An Inter-Community Business Licensing system is in place for the District of Sechelt, the Town of Gibsons and the Sechelt Indian Government District. SIGD businesses providing goods or services in more than one community must have a SIGD business licence before purchasing an inter-community license for $50.
- Business located within SIGD can purchase an Inter-Community Business Licence from the District of Sechelt, 2nd Floor, 5797 Cowrie Street, Sechelt.
- Businesses located in Sechelt, Gibsons and the SCRD can obtain an Inter-Community Business Licence from the District of Sechelt or the Town of Gibsons.