The shishalh Nation will be going to the polls on May 2, 2020 to vote in the Land Acquisition Referendum. Nation members living away from home will be eligible to vote in this referendum.
Wendy Lee has been appointed as the Electoral Officer. More information to follow soon.
We are here to help!
All voters are solely responsible for ensuring that the administration has their current contact information.
Who can vote?
- All shíshálh Nation members who are 18 years of age on or before May 2nd, 2020 – no matter where you live!
- You must be on the voters list!
The voters list will be available at the shíshálh Nation administration office and electronically. It will be updated frequently as new
applications are accepted.
If you are not sure you are on the voters list, please contact:
Wendy Lee, Electoral Officer
If you are not on the voters list please compete the attached form and submit to the administration office (5555 Sunshine Coast Highway, Sechelt, BC VON 3A) or email to Wendy Lee.
There are two valid ways to mark your ballot. A checkmark or an X can be used to vote. Do NOT sign your ballot or it will be spoiled and not counted.
These items are NOT allowed in the polling station
- No Cameras
- No Phones
- No Photography
Voters who are not ordinarily resident on shíshálh Nation lands are entitled to vote by mail-in ballot if they apply for a mail-in ballot after April 2, 2020 and the ballot is received by the Electoral Officer prior to the Advance Poll on May 2, 2020.
Voters who are ordinarily residents on shíshálh Nation lands can also apply to vote by mail-in ballot if they are unable to vote in person because of a disability. Mail-in ballots are secure and confidential. There is no possibility to identify the voter with the ballot submitted. Detailed instructions will be included in the mail-in ballot package. Mail-in ballot applications will be available at the administration office, by request, and electronically.
The following dates and deadlines are congruent with the shíshálh Nation constitution and the Election and Referendum Law, as approved by referendum on May 25, 2019.
- Appointment of Electoral Officer, Deputy EO, Arbitrator – Jan 28, 2020
- Referendum Questions – Jan 28, 2020
- Post Initial Voters List – Feb 22, 2020
- Official Notice of Referendum – Mar 3, 2020
- Deadline to appeal Voters List – Apr 2, 2020
- Request to add to Voters List – Apr 2, 2020
- Official Notice of Polls – Apr 2, 2020
- Posting of final Voters List – Apr 22, 2020
- Advanced Poll – Apr 26, 2020
- Receipt of Mail-In Ballots – May 2, 2020
- Referendum – May 2, 2020
- Disposal of Ballots – Aug 30, 2020
shishalh Voters must prove their identify in order to cast a vote in the upcoming referendums for the proposed changes to the Constitution and the Lehigh referendum. Either your Status Card or a valid BC Driver’s License can be used as identification when you vote.
shishalh Voters without proper identification can be vouched for to vote.
The person who vouches for you must be able to produce the proper identification requirements (Status Card/BC Driver’s License) AND be one of the following:
- Registered as shishalh voter
- Be a spouse, parent, grandparent or adult child, grandchild or sibling of the voter
- A person having legal authority to make personal care decisions in respect to the person being vouched for
- Voter and Voucher must each make a solemn declaration as to the voter’s identify and place of residence
- A voter who has been vouched for may not vouch for any other voter at that election