The shíshálh Nation election for 2023 have been completed. Further information will be posted in the coming days.
We are here to help!
All voters are solely responsible for ensuring that the administration has their current contact information.
Who can vote?
- All shíshálh Nation members who are 18 years of age on or before February 18th, 2023 – no matter where you live!
- You must be on the voters list!
The voters list will be available at the shíshálh Nation administration office. It will be updated frequently as new applications are accepted.
If you are not sure you are on the voters list, please contact:
Zena in the Administration Office: 604.885.2273
If you are not on the voters list please compete the attached form and submit to the administration office (5555 Sunshine Coast Highway, Sechelt, BC VON 3A0)
There are two valid ways to mark your ballot. A check mark or an X can be used to vote. Do NOT sign your ballot or it will be spoiled and not counted.
Voters who are ordinarily resident on Sechelt Lands and unable to vote in person due to disability on the date of the election, or voters who are not ordinarily resident on Sechelt Lands, may vote by mail-in ballot if they deliver a completed Application for Remote Ballot to the Electoral Officer by no later than January 19, 2023.
The application form can be obtained from the Electoral Officer. The ballot must be received prior to the close of Election Polls on February 18, 2023.
If the above link doesn’t work for you, please email DMFord@shishalh.com to request a Mail In Ballot.
The following dates and deadlines are congruent with the shíshálh Nation constitution and the Election and Referendum Law, as approved by referendum on May 25, 2019.
- Appointment of Electoral Officer, Deputy EO, Arbitrator – Nov 20, 2022
- Post Initial Voters List – December 20, 2022
- Official Notice of Election – December 20, 2022
- Nomination Meeting – January 4, 2023
- Request to add to Voters List – January 9, 2023
- All Candidates Meeting – January 16, 2023
- Deadline to appeal Voters List – January 19, 2023
- Advanced Poll – February 12, 2023
- Receipt of Mail-In Ballots – February 18, 2023
- Election Day – February 18, 2023
shishalh Voters must prove their identify in order to cast a vote in the upcoming referendums for the proposed changes to the Constitution and the Lehigh referendum. Either your Status Card or a valid BC Driver’s License can be used as identification when you vote.
shishalh Voters without proper identification can be vouched for to vote.
The person who vouches for you must be able to produce the proper identification requirements (Status Card/BC Driver’s License) AND be one of the following:
- Registered as shishalh voter
- Be a spouse, parent, grandparent or adult child, grandchild or sibling of the voter
- A person having legal authority to make personal care decisions in respect to the person being vouched for
- Voter and Voucher must each make a solemn declaration as to the voter’s identify and place of residence
- A voter who has been vouched for may not vouch for any other voter at that election